orthoMIT - Future Orthopedic Operating Room
orthoMIT is a joint project within the framework of the lead project "Gentle surgery by innovative technology" (SOMIT)“. orthoMIT aims to develop an integrated platform for "gentle" operative therapy in orthopedics and traumatology, with particular emphasis on hip, knee and spinal column surgery.
In this major project the operation room of the future will be developed within the next five years. The consortium consists of 27 partners, who are working on innovative features and modules of the orthomit system in subprojects. In the beginning of 2008 the first demonstrator will be set up at the Aachen University Hospital.
- New minimally invasive surgical strategies
- Interventional ultrasound-based imaging and registration
- Interventional x-ray imaging with flat-panel detector
- Miniaturized instruments with integrated sensors
- Knowledge-based planning and navigation systems
- Integrated surgical work station
Speaker of the consortium
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Fritz-Uwe Niethard
Clinic for Orthopedics, University Hospital Aachen